How to apply
**Now closed for September 2021 entry**
Application links will re open in October 2021 (for September 2022 entry)
Applications are made online using the Edinburgh University degree finder. Please select the year of entry you wish to apply for and click on the Apply button.
Application notes - please read before starting your application
- Please note that in place of the “Research Plan” document requested, you are required to upload a Cover Letter: a single A4 page explaining why you think IDCORE should offer you a place.
- Please also upload a CV (with an appropriate filename) to any of the upload fields. Alternatively, please email your CV to email@example.com after you have submitted your application.
- You can leave the Personal Statement window blank if all information is included in your Cover Letter
- You can leave the Relevant Knowledge/Training window blank if all information is included in your CV
- Please leave the Research Proposal window blank and do not nominate a supervisor.
- If you are an overseas student applying with your own funding, please provide details when prompted. Otherwise, please leave all funding questions blank.
- Two references are required: Ideally one should be an academic reference and the other a recent employer reference. References must be dated within the last year, signed and on letter-headed paper.
Full EPSRC/NERC funding, which includes fees and an enhanced stipend, is available for UK students. We do have a small provision to be able to award funding to overseas (including EU) students and we will welcome overseas (or EU) applications. Please note that competition for overseas funding will be very high. If you are a UK or EU applicant, and you have questions about your eligibility, then please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If eligible for funding and you are accepted to the programme, funding will automatically be allocated - there is no separate application for funding.
We also welcome overseas applicants who have sourced their own funding, perhaps from their home country government or similar. Please note that the funding you secure must cover Overseas tuition fees plus your living costs in the UK for at least 4 years. Please indicate the source of funding in your application.
If you have submitted an application which meets IDCORE’s quality threshold you will be invited to attend an interview in Edinburgh. We normally hold interviews in February, March and April.
Interviews are conducted by a panel of academics from the Universities of Edinburgh, Exeter and Strathclyde together with an industrial panel member. Each candidate will be asked to present a 10 minute oral presentation entitled “state of the art in offshore renewable energy” (PowerPoint slides are not permitted) and will then be asked about the experience in research, marine energy, management, and industry. Excellent candidates are able to show passion and enthusiasm during the interview and provide compelling evidence of why they want to join IDCORE.
Places are offered to candidates who the panel feel would make excellent IDCORE students. Decisions are made on the day and normally communicated to candidates within one week of the interview.
The interview day also provides an opportunity for you to learn more about the programme and to see some of the facilities in Edinburgh.